While these posts are based on thoughts I've pondered over time about these songs, for these posts, I simply put on my headphones, listen to the song and write what comes to mind.

Friday, February 19, 2021

Let The Redeemed - Josh Baldwin

There's no sound louder than a captive set free.  So let the redeemed of the Lord say so. 

Definition of redeem:

  • transitive verb
  • 1 a: to buy back: REPURCHASE
  • b: to get or win back

I've always been fascinated by this idea that God owns us by rights of creation.  In my ceramics class, if I made something it belonged to me simply for that reason.  But God had to redeem - repurchase us - pay for us, His creation.  He owns us twice over.

Another book I read about 30 years ago that has had a huge impact is The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life by Hannah Whitall Smith.  It planted the idea that Christians should always be the happiest people in the room.  It also explains why that is far too often not the case.  You should read it.

I liked this song from the first time I heard it.  I thought about all the captives in all the wars.  I can't imagine any of it.  But I try to imagine finally being rescued or in some way being set free. 

It's all kind of disjointed...  I think there's a general misunderstanding, or lack of real awareness, of us as Christians being captives set free, of us being redeemed from sin and death.  And that leads to a lack of exuberance and gratitude.  Maybe we're more like the man whose debt was forgiven and yet he went and demanded payment of what was owed him, and they all ended up in jail.  




No comments:

Post a Comment